Major tenants at Fort Detrick include the 21st Signal Brigade and its sub-units, the 114th and 302d Signal Battalions, as well as several agencies that provide sustainable and environmental operations and research.
After its start in 1965 at Fort Bragg, NC, the 21st Signal Brigade participated in 13 campaigns during the Vietnam War before being deactivated in 1971. When the brigade was reactivated in 2003, it was headquartered at Fort Detrick where it still remains today with command over the 56th Signal Battalion and 7th Signal Center (located at Fort Gordon), the 114th Signal Battalion (in the field at Raven Rock Mountain Complex in PA), and the 302d Signal Battalion.
The 302d Signal Battalion was activated in New York in 1921 and soon saw action during World War Two where it helped General Patton’s Third Army move across Europe. The battalion was the first to take Heidelberg, Germany, while assisting the 12th Army Group, but soon after was deactivated in 1946. After reactivation in 1969, the 302d deployed to Bangkok, Thailand, with the Army’s 29th Signal Group and saw action in Southeast Asia until 1971 when it took over the 160th Signal Brigade’s action in Germany after the Berlin Wall fell. After another deactivation in the 1990s, the battalion finally came back for good as a part of the 21st Signal Brigade at Fort Detrick in 2003.
This is a website dedicated to our men and women serving at Fort Detrick, MD. Its purpose is to provide military personnel the information necessary for their move to the area. This information is for both on-post/base and off-post/base at Fort Detrick, MD. This is not an official military website.